Worker, Senior, Grounds CrewGuilford Technical Community College
In addition to performing grounds maintenance activities at the Jamestown Campus, the jobholder is responsible for the maintenance of GTCC outer campuses including but not limited to: Greensboro, High Point, Aviation Centers 1, 2, and 3 and the Cameron campus. In the absence of the Grounds Maintenance Manager, s/he coordinates and leads the work of the Grounds Maintenance crew. The jobholder directs a small work crew when performing assignments on the outer campuses.
Coordinate and direct off-campus grounds maintenance activities at satellite locations including the completion of work orders for those sites in addition to assigned maintenance activities at the Jamestown Campus.
Plan weekly schedules and coordinate all maintenance through the Grounds Maintenance Manager.
Responsible for mowing, trimming, edging, blowing, trash pickup, trash can detail, spraying, pruning, planting, watering, and other duties not listed. Assure that crew members are appropriately trained in the safe use of all equipment along with the appropriate maintenance thereof.
In the supervisor’s absence, coordinate and lead the work activities of the Grounds crew.
Implement the planting and care of annual flowers at all outer campuses. Work with Grounds Manager for coordination and assistance.
Prepare requisitions for off campus supplies and needs. Report annual inventory to Grounds Manager, helping tabulate totals at all campuses.
Update Grounds Manager on projects, weekly tasks, service request completions, and employee issues via email or verbal interaction.
Adhere to established work schedule and complete assignments in a safe and timely manner.
Participate in any Professional Development workshops and attend seminars, trade shows, lectures, and field days pertaining to grounds management. Complete pesticide recertification classes throughout the year to maintain license.
Demonstrate and model the College’s employability skills: adaptability, communication, information processing, problem solving, responsibility and teamwork
Perform all duties as assigned by supervisor.
• Managing grounds crews in completing essential tasks
• Ensuring safe equipment operation for all grounds tasks
• Coordination of multiple tasks as necessary
• Personnel issues as they arise
• Daily: Grounds Crew Workers regarding instructions, monitoring, updates
• Several times a week: Grounds Manager regarding updates, scheduling, planning
• Annually: subcontractors regarding work discussions
• High school diploma, GED certificate, and 5 years landscaping experience or Associate’s degree in turfgrass management, landscape management, horticulture or similar field from a regionally accredited post-secondary institution and 3 years landscaping experience.
• Possession of a valid NC Pesticide License
• Minimum 3 years of the required experience must be in a supervisory role.
• Knowledge of grounds maintenance practices.
• Knowledge of grounds equipment operation, care and maintenance.
• Skill in the operation of trucks, vans, and powered equipment.
• Ability to learn the growing and care requirements of campus lawns, plants, and trees.
• Ability to establish and maintain a good working relationship with co-workers, supervisor, staff, students and the general public.
• Valid driver’s license and an acceptable driving record.
• Ability to lift up to 70 pounds on a regular basis.
• Ability to walk, kneel, stoop, and crawl.
• Ability to work independently with minimum supervision.
• Ability to work at times other than scheduled hours.
• Ability to work in inclement weather, i.e. snow and ice removal, storm damage, etc.
• Successfully complete all required training including but not limited to the following: anti-harassment, personal protection training, CPR, first aid, noise and hearing conservation, crane/hoist safety, forklift operation and safety, hand and power tools, emergency action plans etc
• Work requires mostly standing and walking.
• Work requires carrying objects or loads up to 70 pounds.
• Some (30% – 70%) exposure to hazardous chemicals, filth, fumes, adverse weather, or personal health and safety risks.